Our Work Smart blog series continues with Google Hangouts. The aim with this series is to help companies to work smarter by getting the most out of the cloud computing power that’s already available to them.
G Suite apps (formerly known as Google Apps) receive frequent updates and have additional features added continuously, and because G Suite is cloud-based, you’ll always be using the most up to date version of the app. It can therefore become easy to miss some of these features or possible use-cases, so we’ve detailed a few ways Hangouts can save some precious time in your work day…
Customers can get in touch for technical support by sending an email to the support team, who then respond from Gmail with a Google Calendar invitation that includes a link to the scheduled Hangouts session. Customers can then just click on the link in their Calendar when it’s time for the meeting and connect face-to-face with the support team. They can then discuss what problems are occurring and even share their screens to help solve the issue.
- Scheduling calls in Calendar save the customer from waiting on hold.
- Enables customers to display their problem, rather than trying to explain.
- Reps can also show how-to, rather than trying to talk-through.
- Allows for a more personal customer support experience.
The training team can create a portal within Google Sites which allows them to conduct virtual classes with learners around the world while using Hangouts. The training site can link with Calendar to display the course timetable and schedule, so participants can pick and choose which ones are most relevant to them. Once they know what’s available, they just add the events to their own calendars with links to the Hangout and other materials.
- Save time and money by removing the requirement for travel.
- Multiple options for training classes allow greater flexibility for learners.
- Reduce time taken to onboard new employees.
Online and In-Store Browsing
While browsing online, customers can get in touch with in-store employees through a Hangouts call. While connected, the store worker can display the product on video and go over any questions the customer may have to reassure them that it’ll meet their requirements. They can then take the customers details and complete the sale or follow up at a later date. To make things easier for customers, they don’t even need to have a Google account or sign up to use Hangouts, simply follow the link provided by the in-store worker and they’re instantly connected.
- Improved customer experience for online shoppers.
- No requirement for a Google account, meaning anyone can connect.
- Shoppers get the answers they need faster and can have others present to review the products.
- Service providers can improve their online conversion rate by staying with customers all the way through the sales funnel.
Connect Clients with Experts
Hangouts can be used across any industry, but a good example for how to utilise the app for providing expert advice could be through financial advisors. When meeting with a client and going over specific needs, such as tax or estate planning, they can use a Chromebook (or any internet connected device) to set up a Hangout with one of their expert colleagues who could offer their specialist insights as though they were there in person. These can be planned in advance by scheduling the meeting in Calendar with a link to the Hangout.
- Service providers can offer a more tailored customer experience by bringing in experts as and when required for each individual.
- Streamline client meetings with experts by avoiding the need to travel off-site.
- Handle all questions at once without making the client wait for answers from others.
Reducing Email Overload
For teams that need to stay in touch frequently to receive project updates or just share information while working, we have Hangouts Chat. Hangouts Chat is Google’s instant messaging platform within Hangouts. This allows users to hold either individual or group chats from their Google account, and access it from any internet connected device. This can be a lot more convenient for short messages or file sharing than sending individual emails and cluttering your Gmail inbox. It also allows for great search functionality within the chats, so you can look up the important topics covered with a couple of clicks (or taps).
- Can have a live chat running alongside other tabs for instant updates.
- Saves inbox clutter
- Group chat allows for information to be shared with the team instantly
These are just a few examples of the countless ways teams can use Hangouts to work more efficiently and collaborate seamlessly. We’re hoping they’ve given some inspiration for how it could help you and your team work smarter.
If you’re interested in learning more about how to get the most out of Google Hangouts or you’d just like to find out a bit more about G Suite and what it could offer, please don’t hesitate to get in touch via email@example.com. We would be delighted to have a chat about how we could help.